Summer Camp 2020 Recipes
Double Chocolate Cupcakes:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled for 5 minutes
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1-3 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup standard muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder.
- Add in vegetable oil, hot water, egg and vanilla and whisk until well combined and smooth. Batter will be thin.
- Use a large scoop (about 3 tablespoons) to divide the batter between lined muffin cups.
- Bake in preheated oven for 17-20 minutes. The tops will spring back when touched lightly.
- Place pan on a cooling rack until cupcakes are cool to the touch.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter on medium-high speed for about 6 minutes. This process will lighten the color of the butter and ensure your buttercream is extra fluffy.
- Add cooled, melted chocolate to the butter and mix until combined. Scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Sift together the powdered sugar and cocoa powder.
- With the mixer on low speed, gradually add in the powdered sugar mixture. Continue mixing on low speed until the powdered sugar is completely incorporated.
- Add in 1-2 tablespoons milk and vanilla extract and mix until combined. Turn mixer back up to medium-high speed and beat the mixture for an additional 5 minutes.
- If needed, add in a little more milk 1 teaspoon at a time until you reach the consistency you desire. Pipe the buttercream onto cooled cupcakes. If desired, top with chocolate sprinkles or mini chocolate chips.
Red Velvet Cupcakes:
- 1 and 1/3 cups (145 grams) cake flour (spooned & leveled)
- 2 tablespoons (10 grams) natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup (60 grams) unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) oil canola or vegetable work well
- 1 tablespoon liquid red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 2/3 cup (160 ml) buttermilk room temperature
Cream cheese frosting:
- 1/2 cup (115 grams) unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 1 (8-ounce) package brick-style cream cheese softened to room temperature
- 2 cups (240 grams) powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line two standard 12-count muffin pans with 16 cupcake liners and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cake flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Then sift the dry ingredients to remove any lumps of cocoa powder. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar on medium speed for 4-5 minutes. Add the egg and mix until fully combined, then mix in the oil, red food coloring, vanilla, and vinegar stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Mix in the dry ingredients in three additions alternating with the buttermilk, starting and ending with the dry ingredients. Make sure to mix each addition until just combined and be careful not to over mix the batter.
- Evenly distribute the batter between all 16 cupcake liners in the prepared muffin pans, only filling each one about halfway full.
- Bake in separate batches at 350°F (177°C) for 15-18 minutes or until the tops of the cupcakes spring back when lightly touched and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Carefully remove the cupcakes from the pan and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Cream cheese frosting:
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the butter and mix for about 30 seconds-1 minute until well combined and smooth. Add in the powdered sugar and vanilla extract and continue mixing until fully combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
Once the cupcakes have cooled completely, pipe the frosting on top.
Wednesday Bake Cakes
Cinnamon Sugar Donuts
- ½ cup butter
- ¾ cups sugar
- 1 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- Blend 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter with 1/2 cup of sugar
- Add the egg and mix well
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt
- Add to the butter and sugar mixture
- Blend in the milk and mix together thoroughly
- Fill greased donut tins
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes, or until doughnuts are golden
- Combine remaining 1/4 cup of sugar with the cinnamon
- Melt remaining 3 tablespoons of butter
- While doughnuts are still warm, roll them in melted butter; then in cinnamon sugar.
Thursday – Buttercream icing for 6” Cake
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream or milk
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter, powdered sugar, and salt until smooth and creamy, about 1-2 minutes.
- Scrape the bowl down with a rubber spatula. Add the vanilla and cream. Beat for another 1-2 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Decorate cake as desired or refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days.